Documents for New Car Registration in Nigeria
- Attestation letter from the company of purchase;
- Receipt of Purchase/Invoice;
- Delivery note from the company of purchase
- Proof of Ownership of the car
- A valid and current Driver’s License.
- Any means of Identification such as National Identity Card and International passport
- Proof of current address (You can make use of your Utility Bill)
- Passport photograph of the car owner.
For new imported cars the following additional documents are required:
- Tax Identification Number.
- Custom papers (showing that the vehicle has been cleared by customs)
- Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate
How to Register a New Car in Nigeria
- Pay a visit to the State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority (SBIR/MLA), pick up an “allocation of plate number” form and fill in all the details.
- Attach all necessary documents and submit
- Once the authorities are satisfied, you will be required to fill more forms. These are:
- Allocation of Registration Number of New Vehicle Form
- Auto vehicle License Form
- Form B
- Federal Road Safety Form, FRSC Form and
- Tax Form
- All the filled forms and attached documents are then forwarded to the police officer assigned to the licensing office for verification, by way of verification stamp and date indicated on the form.
- The next stage after the verification process is payment for license plate which is done in the bank. The amount required is usually about 50,000 naira. Although this depends on the kind of plate you wish to have.
- After payment, you will be required to present your receipt and a plate number based on availability will be allocated to you. You will also be given Proof of Ownership Certificate Number, Proof of ownership Certificate and a Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
- All the original documents you submitted will then be returned to you. You need to cross check to make sure that nothing is missing.
- The next step is to buy insurance policy for your new car. This can be a comprehensive or third party insurance.
Now that you have gone through registration process with all necessary documents in your possession, you can now freely drive your new car without fear of law enforcement agencies.
We believe and hope that this post was helpful to you, kindly show your support by sharing it with your families, friends, acquaintances, and relatives who might be in a dire need of this help-guide via Facebook, Twitter, as well as on Instagram platform using the social buttons on this page.
Copyright And Warning: Published contents (posts and media) on this blog may not be reproduced, redistributed, republished either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment from the Gist9ja administrator.
The blog posts and other contents on this blog is written and published with good intentions. If you own any of the content and believe that your copyright was violated or infringed, please ensure you contact us via [coolieecoldex(at)gmail.com] / [admin(at)gist9ja.com] to file a complaint and actions will be taken with an immediate effect.